RECOVERY PROGRAMME 2021
by Claire Murray, creator of the Emotion Works Programme and founder of Emotion Works CIC
Following the successful development and roll-out of the Emotion Works Recovery Programme in 2020 which supported hundreds of Scottish Primary Schools following Lockdown 1, we are very happy to announce that we are all set to run #EWrecovery21 over the Spring and Summer term of 2021.
This website is now a tried and tested platform of Training and Teaching material, purpose built to help schools take a trauma responsive and relational approach to learning and teaching during the Recovery period. The focus is on developing emotional literacy through familiar curriculum areas and activities to help pupils process their experiences of lockdown and the pandemic.
We look forward to sharing our expertise to help you re-engage your pupils at school in ways that promote positive mental health and emotional wellbeing.
We know you’re busy and we’re here to help. If you’d like to speak to a member of our team who can process your payment over the phone or answer any questions you have, please feel free to call us during office hours on 0131 669 1122, or email us with your telephone number and let us know a good time to call you.
2021 programme schedule
March until Easter / mid-April – flexible depending on start dateTRAINING & COLLEGIATE APPROACH:
- All staff become familiar with the Recovery Programme content, trauma informed principles and the Emotion Works cog curriculum.
- Teachers plan ‘5-cog model introduction’ lessons and activities.
- Settling in / Settling back to school after lockdown
- An Introduction to the Emotion Cogs (5-cog model)
Summer TermTRAINING & COLLEGIATE APPROACH:
- Teachers work through the Cog Curriculum training modules & teaching pages, then plan for the ‘Closer look’ lessons and activities for the first 5 cogs.
- After introducing the first 5 cogs to all classes, a collegiate decision is taken about next steps for school roll-out. A period of embedding and consolidating may be agreed on until next session.
- Showcase of work or Emotion Works celebration planned for last weeks of term
- Settling in / Settling back to school after lockdown / Easter holidays
- A recap or first introduction to the Emotion Cogs (5-cog model)
- A closer look at cogs 1-5
- Revisiting the 5-cog model
- Consolidation and embedding
- Optional: First and Second level pupils are introduced to additional cogs and 6-cog/7-cog models
- Emotion Works Showcase / Celebration (and evaluation)
The Recovery Programme content is provided across 2 main sections
- TRAINING & GUIDANCE SECTION: The overview page for this section can be reached by clicking on the main header in the Navigation Bar. Nine training modules cover the Component Model Curriculum with supporting teaching resources. There is also an in-depth module that covers the trauma responsive elements of the programme – our 3Rs training, Each training module links up to a corresponding page in the ‘Teaching Programme’ to help put your training into practice.
- WEEKLY TEACHING PROGRAMME: The overview page for this section can also be reached by clicking on the main header in the Navigation Bar. The teaching programme includes a ‘Settling in / Settling Back’ period followed by 10 teaching ‘weeks’ with content relating to each of the Emotion Works cogs and the 5-part, 6-part & 7-part models. A proposed schedule for the 2021 roll-out can be viewed here.
You may also find our Newsletter page from the 2020 roll-out helpful where you can see how the programme roll-out progressed on a week-by-week basis.
In addition to the Training & Teaching support provided by the Recovery programme, we’re excited to see our online community growing. We love facilitating learning, connecting, sharing and networking between Emotion Works practitioners and schools. The Recovery Programme is a unique experience for us all to participate in together.
Here’s how to join in and become part of the #EWcommunity
- There are comment boxes on each of the training pages for your questions and feedback
- Our members only Emotion Works Practitioners facebook page is an excellent forum for connecting with others also using Emotion Works during the recovery period – but please answer the membership questions to gain access otherwise we will have to decline your request
- Our twitter page @emotionworksCIC will also likely be busy with recovery programme news and tweets over the coming months. If you tweet about the programme please tag us as @emotionworksCIC and using the #EWrecovery21 hashtag
TRAINING & TEACHING Resources
Non members – please feel free to click through to browse an overview of each section
Existing Emotion Works members – your usual email address and password will work to help you log-in to this site
Recovery Programme Members – your school ‘team lead’ can add staff emails on the dashboard of our main website by logging in here
The very reasonable cost of the Recovery Programme reflects our status as a social business and commitment to sharing our experience and expertise in emotional education to the Recovery effort in Scotland.
Our full school packages with longer term memberships and hard copy resources are also still available to buy from our main website shop.
With new school closures in place we realise that the formal roll-out of Emotion Works in school isn’t possible for the time being and so your planning and delivery of the #EWrecovery programme will be on hold. Please be reassured that we will be able to extend access to the programme once pupils are back in the classroom to ensure you have time to complete your roll-out.
In the meantime, we have created a new mini website for Emotion Works schools and families that is an open platform and can be accessed directly by teachers, parents and pupils without the need to log-in. It provides activities and ideas suitable for home learning and will both consolidate and stretch cog learning for your pupils across different ages and stages. We also hope the website will help parents become more familiar with the Emotion Works approach, which we feel is a big positive for your longer term roll-out of the programme and its impact on pupils.
The new website can be found at www.emotionworks-home.school